Do you like easy to read and deep stories?
Are you looking for a book about books?
If so, the Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin is for you.
In fact, the book is a real treasure with books and literary references.
In this book review, I briefly analyze the book and share my favorite quotes at the end of the page.
AJ Fikry is the widower bookseller of “Island books”. He is a quick-tempered and surly man, who dislikes his job and people on the small island, where he lives.
The adoption of a two-year-old toddler, whom he finds abandoned in his bookstore, will change his life for the better: he will discover the joy of being a father, a bookseller and a book lover, and finally he will find the courage to open up to a new and unexpected love.
The main takeaway from AJ Fikry’s story: Sharing a book is the best way to open up and tell something about us.
selling books, reading, books, book clubs, quotes, love of books, bookish people, bookworm, heartbreak, hope, finding love, love, grief, positive changes, life surprise, transformation, second chances, a moving story, loneliness, solitude.
Book Published in 2014 Genres: Fiction
The book is about 300 pages, divided into two parts. It contains books and literary references, to see them click on AJ Books.
Setting and Time
USA, Alice Island, Massachusetts, New England, Hyannis, Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
The time period, where the whole story takes place, is not specified. However, we can infer from the age of Maya that the whole story lasts about 20 years. In the beginning of the novel she is 2 and at the end she graduates.
- Main Characters:
- A.J. Fikry: Island books’ bookseller, widower, quick-tempered and surly man.
- Maya: A.J. Fikry’s adopted daughter.
- Amelia Loman: Knightley Press’ sales agent, single, looking for the right man. She meets A.J. Fikry three times a year to present Knightley’s editorial proposals.
- Ismay: A.J. Fikry’s sister-in-law, teacher.
- Daniel Parish: Ismay’s husband, womanizer, writer.
- Lambiase: local police officer, who discovers the joy of reading thanks to AJ Fikry and organizes book clubs.
2. Secondary Characters
- Nicole Evans: A.J. Fikry’s wife, dead in a road accident, when she was two-month pregnant.
- Marian Wallace: Maya’s mother.
- Brett Brewer: American hero in armed forces in Afghanistan, Amelia’s boyfriend.
- Boyd Flanagan: Amelia’s one of many disappointments in love.
- Miss Molly Klock: grumpy shop assistant at Island Books.
- Doctor Rosen
Favorite quotes ♥
- Sometimes books don’t find us until the right time.
- It is so much easier to write about the things we dislike/hate/ acknowledge to be flawed than the things we love.
- You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question,What is your favorite book?
- Someday, you may think of marrying. Pick someone who thinks you’re the only person in the room.
- We read to know we’re not alone. We read because we are alone. We read and we are not alone. We are not alone.
- We are what we love.
More information about the Book:
See the author’s Book on Amazon
Visit Gabrielle Zevin’s blog
What do you think? Did you like my review?
Let me know in the comments section below. I would love to hear your feedback, it will help me improve.